Having fun is an enjoyable way to spend a day, but did you know that it also is good for your physical and mental health? At Senior Star, we are big believers in squeezing as much joy as possible from every moment. In our independent living, it’s easy to do—just take a look at our Signature Programs—you’ll see why our residents have lots to smile about!
Independent Living Signature Programs at Senior Star
Our Senior Star Signature Programs ensure that all residents can find activities to nurture their overall well-being at any age. Based on our Seven Areas of Wellness, each of these programs promote health and well-being in one (or more) of the following areas: Brain Power, Exercise & Movement, Expression, Inner Strength, Nourishment & Health, Socialization, and Spirituality.
It’s hard to walk past this activity without feeling the beat and joining in! A party-like atmosphere designed for the active older adult with movements that are easy, yet exhilarating. Latin-inspired and international dance rhythms can be enjoyed standing up or while sitting in a chair. So, no matter your fitness level, everyone can join the party.
- Improved bone density and prevention of osteoporosis
- Increased range of motion, posture, balance, and coordination
- Improved cognitive function
- Enhanced self-esteem and general wellbeing
- Reduced depression, stress, and anxiety
- Empowered and enhanced quality of life
Jack LaLanne would be jealous! These exercise machines provide residents with an easy, comfortable, and safe fitness routine. Residents have shared that after two months of regular use with the ShapeMaster® machines, they experience positive changes, including increased stability and strength, which can go a long way towards preventing falls.
- Variety of movements offering a full-body workout
- Comfortably seated exercise with easy stretching
- 5-minute sessions
- Improved strength, enhanced flexibility
- Increased independence
Where would you visit if you could hop on a bicycle and go anywhere in the world? The neighborhood you grew up in, your favorite vacation spot, or maybe a dream destination? In independent living at Senior Star, residents are going places with the innovative exercise adventure that pairs a stationary bike with a live projected map of virtually anywhere in the world. Gear up for a one-of-a-kind experience!
- Great way to exercise
- Memory and emotional stimulator
- Reminiscing/lifelong learning (you’re “traveling” to places you’ve been or exploring places you’ve always wanted to go)
Who doesn’t love to play games? Welcome to a remarkable fitness system providing countless stimulating and enjoyable brain games designed with seniors in mind. This easy-to-use format is designed to engage and stimulate the mind. And it really is simple, even if you’ve never used a computer!
At Senior Star, Dakim is available to independent living residents on their own laptop, iPad, or PC within their apartment home. Or, they use the large touchscreen Dakim located in a common area of the community. Boost your brain power today and perform at high levels for years to come, with Dakim!
- Improved cognitive performance in the two most important areas — memory (immediate and delayed) and language abilities — as users strengthen attention, focus, and concentration
- For example:
- Remember facts, lists, names and faces more easily
- Organize your thoughts more rapidly
- Hold more ideas in your head at one time
- Find the right word when you need it
- Perform complex calculations in your head
- Remember more details of what you read
- Quickly evaluate information and make decisions in less time
Music and Memory™
Think of your favorite song. Now, remember where you were when you first heard it, how it made you feel and some of the memories attached to it: your first love, a child’s birth, your wedding day. Are you smiling yet? As a Music & Memory Certified Care Organization, we are proud to offer personalized music as part of our high-quality care.
Listening to musical favorites offers people of all ages renewed joy in life, as well as these benefits:
- Reduced depression, anxiety and pain
- Revisiting deep and pleasant memories, improving quality of life
- Feeling happier, more social, and more receptive to care
Have you ever laughed without relying on humor or jokes? What if we told you that one minute of laughter increases the heart rate faster than a rowing machine? This might be the most fun you ever have in an exercise class! Just ask our independent living residents who are discovering how unintentional laughter becomes genuine joy and for those who participate. All ages and all skill levels can participate.
- Increased blood flow and improved breathing
- Increased energy
- Reduced stress and enhanced memory
- Stronger immune system
- Improved attitude through life’s trials
- Improved overall quality of life
- A big smile on your face!
At Senior Star, we believe that every individual has a gift and often more than one. As Resident Ambassadors, individuals can contribute to their community using their particular skill sets and gifts they’ve acquired throughout life.
- Welcoming new residents
- Recognizing birthdays, anniversaries and accomplishments of those around them
- Providing cheer to those temporarily confined to their apartments
- Assisting in community activities
At Senior Star, our promise is “Do for Each Other With Love,” and we are thankful so many of our residents feel the same way. As Resident Ambassadors, their strengths can shine!
This is an opportunity for our residents to actively join in group activities where they can discuss current events. Socialization is a vital component of wellness for seniors, helping keep the mind, body, and spirit healthy and active.
- Socialization, self-esteem, and critical thinking
- Participation in weekly activities, games, and puzzles based on current events
- Staying “in the know” on what’s going on in the world
And that’s just the beginning! Independent living residents at Senior Star have countless opportunities to fully enjoy the freedom of retirement. Our Signature Programs are just the beginning. We also offer dedicated Signature Programs for residents of memory care. We invite you to learn more about how much there is to enjoy at Senior Star, whether in independent living or any of our care options. It’s a retirement lifestyle you’ll love!
Independent Living is filled with fun at Senior Star!
It will be our pleasure to share the amenities, programs, and activities that our residents enjoy in a typical day. Download our free guide Choosing The Right Community for more in-depth and helpful information. Questions about senior living? Contact us to learn more.